Sunday, January 31, 2016

mock lasagna, family favorite for 40+ years

when we were first married (42 years now) LOL, I found this recipe in an old magazine of my hubby's grandmother's, when we traveled to Onieda New York in the winter with a 6 month old baby...
she lived in a wonderful old house that held many treasures...

I love old recipes that call for a different that usual ingredient...with this one, it is that you do not have to boil the noodles first...you just layer the noodles in between really hot sauce and it cooks like that...dumb me, one time when I went back to work, I made the casserole the night before and it was really gummy when I went to cook it...

hubby absolutely loves this dish and it usually is the first fall dish I make when I can finally turn the oven on after a summer time out...

this is the original recipe:  (but for our family I double the recipe)

1 can (1 lb 12 oz) of stewed tomatoes
1 can (16 oz) tomato sauce
seasonings
2 cups of water
1 pkg of wide noodles (uncooked)
mozzarella cheese
cooked hamburger
I add, cooked Italian sausage

a change to the original is that I completely blend the stewed tomatoes till no real pieces are left...some of my family hate to bite into pieces of tomato...it blends well with the tomato sauce...

heat the sauce to boiling and then simmer for 15 minutes and add the hamburger and sausage...

as with a lasagna, add a thin layer of sauce in pan and then layer noodles (1 layer) then more sauce, another layer of noodles and sauce, ending with a good (make sure every thing is covered)...

spead mozzarella cheese

cover with foil and bake 350 for approx. 45 minutes...let sit for about 10 minutes...when you cut it, it cuts like lasagna...

so yummy you will love it...


No comments:

Post a Comment