Tuesday, February 16, 2016

pork ribs and pecan rice pilaf

I had pork boneless ribs out for dinner on Saturday night but I took the little kids to the mall for lunch and to Build a Bear for Valentine's Day...(we had such fun too) but by the time we got home noone was hungry for dinner...

I went ahead and baked the ribs and thought they would be great warmed up on another night, rather than waste them...

I had never really come across boneless pork ribs before until the time when my hubby had lost his very good paying aerospace job and could not find another job...there was a local meat market close to us and hubby got to be good friends with the owners and he eventually went to work for them...however, they could not afford to pay him, but he could take what meat he needed to feed his family...this was a difficult time for us as the kids were teenagers and I was the only one working, trying to hold onto our house and car, etc.   so the extra meat came in handy...I had only ever heard of ribs being BBQ'd, but in the winter that was a hard task to perform...hubby came home regularly with these ribs and one time I decided to bake them with BBQ sauce and they came out so good and that is how I have always made them since then...

so I did them this way on Saturday night...and of course I had to try them and was eating ribs at 9 pm...(I had to taste test, right?)

for the side I wanted to try something new and had this recipe for pecan rice pilaf in my favorites like forever...

in a suacepan, in 2 tbs butter I sauteed 1 cup of chopped pecans until toasted then set aside, in the same pan, I added 1 small onion chopped until tender...I then added 2 cups of uncooked long grain rice...cooked and stirred for 3-4 minutes until slightly browned...then added 32 ounces of chicken broth and some seasonings...brought to boil and then let simmer for about 10 minutes...then added 1 cup of shredded carrots an additional 5 minutes till rice was tender...then added some parsley and the pecans and fluffed with a fork...

very yummy

No comments:

Post a Comment