Saturday, June 30, 2012

beer can chicken...

today we had planned on going to the commissary to get groceries for the month of July and we did head that way...our closest commissary is about 20-25 minutes from our house but, out that way is also Sam'sClub...
so in the car, I am trying to cut my coupons and make the grocery list and I looked at hubby and said,
"let's forget about shopping and just go to Sam's, we'll get just what we need for dinner there and get
our hotdogs for lunch there too..."
so that is what we did...we'll go back to the commissary maybe on MOnday and by then I can get the coupons cut and a better grocery list...
so at Sam's hubby went and got our hot dogs (does your Sam's have those really good big hot dogs for only 1.50 with a drink also?) (I know at my sister's store in San Antonio, they don't) but it is such a cheap lunch...and I went to see what I could make for dinner...and I wanted something BBQ...

came up with:

beer can chicken
hobo potatoes
corn
texas toast

for beer can chicken what you basically do is after your whole chicken is washed and seasoned well with your choice of seasonings, you put a 1/2 can of beer (we used the tall ones) and stick the chicken onto the can of beer and put in the middle of the prepared BBQ to roast for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours and it comes out so moist and delicious...

for the hobo potatoes:  what you are supposed to do is put all of your ingredients onto foil and throw them onto the BBQ while the chicken is also cooking but I was lazy and wanted to just do them on the stove top so I could watch them while I washed dishes...here is what I did...
about 6-8 red potatoes, diced
about 3 carrots, sliced
1/2 onion, diced
2 stalks of celery chopped
some cooked bacon

I added the onions to some oil in my new deepdish sauce pan (love it) and when lucid, added potatoes, carrots, celery and let cook in saucepan with lid on till potatoes were tender, and added bacon and garlic salt and pepper...

now it is hot here...in the 90's and for some reason, the past couple of days I cannot eat...the heat iswrecking havoc with my stomach so while everyone else is enjoying the fruits of my labor, I will be watching them with envy, eating my bowl of rice...I hope they enjoy it...

No comments:

Post a Comment