Monday, March 25, 2013

mock lasagna a family favorite

tonight I made a family favorite, a recipe that I have been making for about 35 years...

with all of the problems all over the internet about recipes and who has claim to them (it really is a
big deal) I cannot honestly say this is my original...I found it in an old magazine (then 35 years ago) and I have tweaked it and done so many things differently that it most likely does not resemble the original one and at all but I will not lay claim to it, cause I believe that is wrong...
there are so many recipes and foods and the like that I do not think there is anything original anymore...people may claim it as their own and maybe they believe it after having a recipe for so long and then tweaking it and changing it to their own tastes but it still started somewhere...

for my recipe I brown hamburger and sweet Italian sausage together...I add it to a sauce that I make
with 2 cans of 1 lb, 12 oz of diced tomatoes (& since some people in my family hate pieces of tomatoes, I puree these) and 2-16 oz cans of tomato sauce and 4 cups of water...I also add Italian
seasonings to tasste...bring to a boil, and then simmer for 15 minutes...

I then spread a thin layer of the sauce in a 9 x 13 greased pan...spread a layer of UNCOOKED egg noodles over the sauce and then pour the rest of the sauce over the noodles...add a layer of mozzarella cheese...cover with foil and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes...if you bake much longer than that,
the noodles turn a little gummy...

I believe the dish is called Mock Lasagna because when you cut into it, it cuts very nicely into a square on your plate...hubby likes his with more sauce so I ladle a little bit out at the beginning and he adds his to his plate...

you must try this, you will love it as much as we do...this is one of those dishes that after a hot summer this is one of the first dishes you are craving...

No comments:

Post a Comment