Sunday, July 17, 2016

my version of swiss steak, mashed potatoes and carrots

this recipe as well as last night's came from an old magazine, approximately 42 years ago, when I was trying to impress my new husband with my great cooking...growing up, I had never had swiss steak...we were a very poor family and usually what we had for dinner was whatever was in the frig or whatever someone brought to us...I never had things like pork chops, steak, bacon, etc. until I was 18 and working...
when I came upon this recipe it just sounded good to me and over the years, I have remade this to our likings...

here is how I do it...

I took a london broil and cut it up into small serving pieces, then dusted all over with some flour and browned on all sides...
then it goes into the crock pot... and I season real well with garlic salt, onion powder, pepper and some parsley...I layer...one of meat and then a layer of sliced onions...once the layers come together, I add one large can of cream of chicken soup (undiluted)...and I put crock pot on high for 2 hours and then on low for about 4-6 hours...
the soup makes a terrific gravy...

for the potatoes, I use red potatoes and boil in small chunks, when fork tender I pull off the stove and add to the kitchen aid bowl that I already have 1/2 block of cream cheese, 1/2 stick butter, 2 spoons of sour cream and I mix until most chunks are mixed in...I then add garlic salt and pepper...so easy, why did I ever think that boxed instant potatoes were acceptable?   silly old me...

this is definitely a dinner that Tim and I both love...

No comments:

Post a Comment