Wednesday, November 9, 2016

my own chicken pot pie

I have made this pie since I was first married...changed the recipe many times to make it fit to all of our likings...

haha I used to boil a whole chicken and tear the meat off the bone...so much of a time saver when I started using boneless skinless breasts...

everyone I have ever served this to, always loves it...I once served it to a minister and his wife and he said that for a church fundraiser, they would sell homemade chicken pies and mine was the best he ever had...

for the past year or so, I make double portions of pie and I then offer one pie to the first friend to text me...I always have takers...haha...so tonight I had offered it to Cj's teacher...I feel for her as her kitchen has been torn up since July so no homecooked dinner for her and I wanted to treat her...

here is what I do...

I either boil or roast 5-6 chicken breasts and then dice into small pieces (I hate to bite into a huge chunk)...

ok here is where I sometimes make it easier also...
the all ready Pillsbury pie crusts in the refrigerated section are wonderful...I like to make my own crusts but these are so good and so easy...

so I line 2 baking pans (like 9x11) with the crusts...then I fill the bottom with the diced up chicken...I then add 3 (for 2 large pans of pie) bags of frozen peas and carrots on top of the chicken...I let it sit while I make the sauce...

for the sauce:
I make a roux of 16 tablespoons of butter, 16 tablespoons of Wondra flour (I think it makes it so much easier for lumps) and once cooked down I added 4 cans of evaporated milk and a 48 oz container of chicken broth, and enough seasonings to your taste and stirred repeatedly till thickened and then poured over the chicken and vegetables...
here is a small warning...when putting the crust on the bottom, make enough of a lip to curl over the top crust...(I have not always remembered to do this)...
I then add the top crust, put some steam slits on top and bake at 375 or 400 for about 35-40 minutes...

so so so yummy...you will love it

No comments:

Post a Comment