Saturday, December 10, 2016

homemade pea soup in the crock pot

I read several different posts on how to make split pea soup in the crock pot and then took my favorites and tried to incorporate them into one recipe that would please my family...

for the past week, I have made many family favorites, down home comfort dinners but, have posted about all of them before...but tonight it is a a little cold for us and I just felt like a good soup and I have not made homemade pea soup in quite awhile...everyone in the family likes pea soup except for hubby...
growing up in my huge family of 12 kids we often had pea soup but it was always the canned variety but since that is what I was used to I loved it...and Tim has a knack of making it just so that warms my heart...not sure of his secret...but tonight I wanted a homemade one...

read about 3 or 4 different recipes and decided to take a little from each one and make my own so, here is what I did...

after I put a slow cooker liner into my crock pot (seriously what did I ever do without these?), I added one package of split green peas and put in 48 ounces of chicken stock and to that I added one diced and chopped onion, 2 carrots, 3 stalks of celery, some diced ham and tons of seasonings (garlic salt, pepper, onion powder and some celery salt...)  and I turned the crock pot on high for about 5-6 hours...I took out the ham and some of the carrots and I then blended the soup on high (I do not particularly like the little peas...and after I blended, I added some heavy cream to give it a rich texture and added back in the ham and carrots and also some
diced up potatoes (just enough to not overwhelm the soup)...

we made some grilled cheese croutons to go with it...

everyone loved it and definitely wants this again and really it was super easy...

No comments:

Post a Comment